As with any digital camera, the sensor can be adjusted to correctly record the photograph with the correct “White Balance” (here after “WB”). 95% of the time, allowing the camera to decide for you will work just fine, and you can make small adjustments while editing.
With the Olympus OMD E-M5, there are several ways to adjust the WB.
- Automatic WB
- Presets for the known light quality (Icons of the different WB under different lighting)
- One Touch WB by taking a photo of a white card, and using that WB as your WB setting.
- Custom WB where you set the WB by the known Color Temperature. (like Studio Lights set at 5600K)
- Tweaking the WB by adjusting “Red/Blue” and/or “Green/Magenta” sliders
This setting is for good general lighting. Sunny, Partially Cloudy, Cloudy. Pretty much most of the outdoor sky conditions. To set your camera to the “Automatic WB” you have a few ways to do this. Turn your camera on…..
- Press the “Right 4way Arrow” and select “Auto”
- Activate the SCP and select the upper 2nd button on the TOP row, from the left. Now, turn the back wheel to select ” WB AUTO”
- Press “Menu/Gears/G/Color-WB/WB/AUTO
- To Tweak the Auto Setting, press the “Right Arrow 4way” and use the two sliders to adjust the Auto WB color Temperature. This allows you shift the “RED/BLUE” and “GREEN/MAGENTA” White Balance.
- Press “OK”
PRESET WB Icons
These settings are for quick settings in a specific lighting situation. The Icons indicate the type of light your shooting.
- “SUN” 5300k: Bright Clear days / Or Sunsets and Fireworks
- “OPEN SHADE” 7300k: Open Shade is where a large building is casting a large/long shadow that you have placed your subject in.
- “CLOUDY” 6000k: Over cast sky’s w/o any blue showing through.
- “TUNGSTEN LIGHT” (light bulb icon) 3000k: Indoors with standard light bulbs. (not daylight corrected light bulbs)
- “FLORESCENT LIGHT” (long florescent bulb) 4000k: Indoors with the long 2′-8′ florescent bulbs.
- “UNDERWATER WB”: When you are taking pictures under water with an underwater housing.
- “FLASH WB” 5500k: When you are using a flash with your camera. Includes On-Camera, Off-Camrea and Studio Lights.
To Tweak any of these Preset WB settings you must go through the MENU system
- Press “Menu/Gears/G/Color-WB/WB/”Any Preset Icon”
- To Tweak your chosen Preset Setting, press the “Right Arrow 4way” and use the two sliders to adjust the Auto WB color Temperature. This allows you shift the “RED/BLUE” and “GREEN/MAGENTA”White Balance.
- Press “OK”
ONE TOUCH WB
- Press “Menu/Gears/G/Color-WB/WB/”CWB” (page 2 of WB icons) / “>” (right 4way arrow)
- To set a Custom WB, use the up and down arrows on the 4way to adjust the WB color Temperature.
- Press “OK”